On this page, we’ll show you how to get train tickets on the Belgian National Railway (SNCB) Website. This lets you travel to cities in Belgium, including to Brussels Airport (known as Zaventem Airport).
- You can buy a ticket from Belgian Rail Website or iOS/Android App from anywhere
- You can buy your ticket up to 30 days before departure
- Getting a ticket is simple and can be done in under 5 minutes
- A credit card is required
- After buying, you’ll get a PDF ticket in your email. No printing necessary!
Visit the Belgian Rail Website
Start by navigating to the official Belgian Rail (SNCB) website on your browser.
Select Your Journey
On the homepage, enter your departure and destination city or station. The example below shows buying a train ticket from Brussels Airport (Zaventem) to Brussels Central station. Choose “Brussels Airport“.
To find Brussels stations, first enter “Brussels” and see the list of stations. For most tourist, Brussels Central (also called Centraal in Dutch) is the most convenient station to see major sightseeing attractions.
Note: Although you choose the “English” option, you may still encounter station names in other languages.
Find your train timetable
After selecting the ‘Plan my journey’ option, a train schedule will appear.
Train prices are the same all day. If you’re unsure of your leaving time, just choose any train for that day.
After you’ve selected your train, click on ‘Buy train ticket’.
Choose Your Ticket Type
Choosing Seat Class and Journey Type
After you’ve entered your journey details and clicked on ‘Plan my journey’, you’ll proceed to the next step which involves selecting the class of your ticket and the type of journey.
Selecting the Class:
- 1st Class: This option offers more spacious seating, often with added comforts like power outlets, free Wi-Fi, and sometimes complimentary snacks or beverages. The carriages are generally quieter, making it a preferred choice for business travelers or those looking for a more relaxed journey.
- 2nd Class: This is the standard class and is more economical. The seats are comfortable, but there might be less legroom compared to 1st class.
(Left: 1st Class / Right: 2nd Class)
Choosing the Journey Type:
- Single Ticket: Choose this if you’re only traveling one way.
- Return Ticket: If you’re planning to go to a destination and come back to your starting point.
Select Ticket Type
Belgian Rail provides a range of ticket options, such as the Youth discount (for those 26 and under) and several other discount types, which can be a bit perplexing. But if you’re over 12 and visiting Belgium, opt for the Standard Ticket.
It’s the most cost-effective choice for all since it already covers the “Brussels Airport Supplement“, also known as the “Diabolo Fee“. This is a 6.40 euro additional charge for anyone taking trains to or from Brussels Airport.
Review Your Shopping Basket
Once you’ve selected your journey and ticket type, click on ‘Complete order’ button.
Choose “PDF by email”
You’ll need a credit card for the payment process. Enter your card details as prompted.
After successful payment, you’ll receive a confirmation on the website. This will be followed by an email with your ticket in PDF format.
One of the best parts about buying your ticket online is that there’s no need to print it. Simply show the PDF (or screenshot of the code) on your mobile device when asked by the train conductor.
Enjoy Your Journey!
With your ticket in hand (or on your device), you’re all set to explore Belgium by train. Remember to always arrive a bit early at the station, especially if it’s your first time traveling from there.